11am & 3pm
11am & 3pm
11am & 3pm (each tour is one hour long)
Free, no booking required
Triskel Christchurch was the main civic church of Cork city from mid-17th to mid-19th century and was the burial place of some of the chief citizens of Medieval Cork. Learn more on our guided tour of our historic building for Cork Heritage Open Day.
Christchurch is located on South Main Street, once the main street of medieval Cork. It was the main civic church of the city from mid-17th to mid-19th century and was the burial place of some of the chief citizens of Medieval Cork. The best known tombstone within Christchurch is that of “The Modest Man”, which was dedicated to twice Mayor of Cork Thomas Ronan (d 1554). It is visible near the Stone Stairs of Christchurch. The present day church is an 18th century neoclassical Georgian building (1720) designed by architect John Coltsman with later renovations carried out by George Richard Pain in 1825. It sits on the site of two previous churches, the first c. 1050 AD, the second an Anglo-Norman Structure c. 1180 AD.