Cork Heritage Week Open House

Christchurch is located on South Main Street, once the main street of medieval Cork. The present day church sits on the site of two previous churches, the first dating from around 1050 AD, the second an Anglo-Norman Structure dating from around 1180 AD.

Present day Christchurch is an 18th century neoclassical Georgian building (1720) designed by architect John Coltsman with later renovations carried out by George Richard Pain in 1825.

Christchurch was the main civic church of the city from mid-17th – mid 19th century and was the burial place of some of the chief citizens of Medieval Cork. The best known tombstone within Christchurch is that of “The Modest Man”, which was dedicated to twice Mayor of Cork Thomas Ronan (d 1554). It is visible near the Stone Stairs of Christchurch.

Season At A Glance